Ironduke
Apr 15, 02:35 PM
If its Metal wifi & 3G would suck
Pumpkin King
Jan 11, 01:51 PM
I lost my iphone a week ago, so I am really, really hoping for an iphone update. I got a blackjack to tide me over until the release of the next iphone, and I already can't stand it after only one week.
I'm hoping for the new iphone to include 16gb, 3g (although edge wasn't bad at all) and gps. I'm thinking that with google's new psuedo-gps that may be included with the software update, that true GPS isn't high on Apple's list of things to update. But I tried the google program on my blackjack and it's terrible. I'm not even inside the circle that it says I'm in (having just used my phone, so it should be able to locate me pretty accurately). I want real GPS that I can use for navigation. I don't care about knowing that I'm within one mile of some point. FYI I'm in Chicago, so not like we're talking about BFE.
I don't know why people think SSDs are going to be an update. I totally don't think that SSDs will be included in Apple products (apart from iphone and ipods) for a long time. Apple's markets are: 1) consumers - where the price of SSDs is still way too high. Plus, you can't load too many home pictures and movies onto a $1,500 64GB SSD anyway. and 2) professionals - mainly working in, film, photography, web design, etc. These guys all require large hard drives. They probably do have large NASs at home, but they may need more space on the road too. I just don't see Apple's markets clamouring for SSD until it becomes both much cheaper and much larger sizes.
I'm hoping for the new iphone to include 16gb, 3g (although edge wasn't bad at all) and gps. I'm thinking that with google's new psuedo-gps that may be included with the software update, that true GPS isn't high on Apple's list of things to update. But I tried the google program on my blackjack and it's terrible. I'm not even inside the circle that it says I'm in (having just used my phone, so it should be able to locate me pretty accurately). I want real GPS that I can use for navigation. I don't care about knowing that I'm within one mile of some point. FYI I'm in Chicago, so not like we're talking about BFE.
I don't know why people think SSDs are going to be an update. I totally don't think that SSDs will be included in Apple products (apart from iphone and ipods) for a long time. Apple's markets are: 1) consumers - where the price of SSDs is still way too high. Plus, you can't load too many home pictures and movies onto a $1,500 64GB SSD anyway. and 2) professionals - mainly working in, film, photography, web design, etc. These guys all require large hard drives. They probably do have large NASs at home, but they may need more space on the road too. I just don't see Apple's markets clamouring for SSD until it becomes both much cheaper and much larger sizes.

iMikeT
Oct 3, 05:44 PM
Jobs to keynote MacWorld, that's new to me.:D
snberk103
Apr 19, 01:54 PM
It's their job, we just have to deal with it. A few months back, a TSA agent groped my junk. I joked with him, "Linger any longer and you'll have to buy me dinner.";) He didn't even crack a smile.
Probably the 5th time he heard that crack that shift. :)
I wonder what comment would actually get them to crack a smile. Sort of like baiting the Guards at Buckingham Palace to crack a smile.
Probably the 5th time he heard that crack that shift. :)
I wonder what comment would actually get them to crack a smile. Sort of like baiting the Guards at Buckingham Palace to crack a smile.
pgw3
Aug 1, 04:27 PM
I don't FEEL ignorant and stupid. Maybe that's because I took the time to READ and UNDERSTAND the limitations imposed on me by iTunes/iPod before I BOUGHT in. And maybe because I understand that what I am BUYING is a DIGITAL DATA FILE that must be interpreted by a certain APPLICATION to become music, and that this was EXPLAINED to me before I BOUGHT. That I don't OWN the MUSIC, and that there are LIMITATIONS to what I can do with it. ( And if you think I'm wrong on that last point, let a copyright holder catch you using their music for commmercial gain. Write back to us and describe the world of hurt that descends on you)!
The fact of the matter is that reasonable DRM's protect the artists who are the source of the music. And Apples DRM is one the most reasonable in the industry, both protecting the artist, and allowing fair use by the customer.
The problem is that the license says that the limitations can change at any time, so one doesn't really know what one buys, even if one has read the license - which I'm sure most people has not. I don't believe that the complaint is first and foremost about the DRM (which one may have opinions about exactly how it is implemented and shared but most anyway recognises it as a necessary evil) but rather what is summarised in these two sentences: "it is unreasonable that the agreement the consumer must give consent to is regulated by English law. That iTunes disclaims all liability for possible damage the software may cause and that it may alter the rights to the music". I think most of us agree that it is not reasonable that that which we buy can destroy anything on our computer and that they can e.g. suddenly just allow me to play a song just five times. And even though we all trust and like Apple these sort of licences are getting sillier and sillier (and it is certainlly not just Apple, it is basically the whole industry) and I think it is really good that someone who has the time and knowledge to fight it takes a stand against it, even though I believe shutting down the store may be overkill but I'm sure it won't come to that.
Cheers,
Peter
The fact of the matter is that reasonable DRM's protect the artists who are the source of the music. And Apples DRM is one the most reasonable in the industry, both protecting the artist, and allowing fair use by the customer.
The problem is that the license says that the limitations can change at any time, so one doesn't really know what one buys, even if one has read the license - which I'm sure most people has not. I don't believe that the complaint is first and foremost about the DRM (which one may have opinions about exactly how it is implemented and shared but most anyway recognises it as a necessary evil) but rather what is summarised in these two sentences: "it is unreasonable that the agreement the consumer must give consent to is regulated by English law. That iTunes disclaims all liability for possible damage the software may cause and that it may alter the rights to the music". I think most of us agree that it is not reasonable that that which we buy can destroy anything on our computer and that they can e.g. suddenly just allow me to play a song just five times. And even though we all trust and like Apple these sort of licences are getting sillier and sillier (and it is certainlly not just Apple, it is basically the whole industry) and I think it is really good that someone who has the time and knowledge to fight it takes a stand against it, even though I believe shutting down the store may be overkill but I'm sure it won't come to that.
Cheers,
Peter
neutrino23
May 4, 12:01 AM
I love this commercial. It is beautiful on so many levels. The photography is beautiful. The pacing is calm. The ideas are high minded.
Cougarcat
Apr 29, 05:35 PM
The iOS slider does not make any sense when quickly looking at options on screen. One has to click-drag-release for the slider function to work, not a hugh problem on iOS since its on a small screen.
Considering that Mac OS is not touch based, makes additional steps to accomplish the same task and is less intuitive.
You didn't have to click-drag. Just click your option, exactly as before. (Same as iOS, you don't have to drag the slider, you can press on your option.)
Although, the design of the slider made it look like you had to do this, which is probably why they changed it.
Considering that Mac OS is not touch based, makes additional steps to accomplish the same task and is less intuitive.
You didn't have to click-drag. Just click your option, exactly as before. (Same as iOS, you don't have to drag the slider, you can press on your option.)
Although, the design of the slider made it look like you had to do this, which is probably why they changed it.
Maxiseller
Nov 16, 11:51 AM
I'm sure that somewhere in their headquarters Apple keeps a build of OS X on AMD like they did with Intel. But Idon't think that anyone outside of Apple will see it at least for several years.
Would it even require a different build? After all, it's still x86 architecture no?
Would it even require a different build? After all, it's still x86 architecture no?

Huntn
Mar 4, 01:52 PM
So when I talk to my 28 year old son in law school, it becomes a different issue. He's a 3L in the thick of things seeing "both" sides of everything, without any moral consideration, and his conservative leanings tend to buy the myth that unions and "liberals" are anti-business. He can talk the liberal argument, because he may have to one day, but his conservative bias is hard to break. I wish him all the best, always, but God help us should he ever make the bench anywhere. ;)
All anyone has to remember in a liberal vs conservative discussion is one simple fact: There has been no law ever initiated by conservatives to help working class citizens. All of these ideas- min wage, child labor laws, max hours per week, workplace safety, etc, all spring from liberal thinking, because liberals give a damn. Conservatives as a rule are too worried about who might take their hard earned money. You know the "sorry we just can't afford it" argument.
All anyone has to remember in a liberal vs conservative discussion is one simple fact: There has been no law ever initiated by conservatives to help working class citizens. All of these ideas- min wage, child labor laws, max hours per week, workplace safety, etc, all spring from liberal thinking, because liberals give a damn. Conservatives as a rule are too worried about who might take their hard earned money. You know the "sorry we just can't afford it" argument.
ciTiger
May 3, 10:16 PM
Love the ad and love apple but the magic thing is starting to feel old... Because they use it too much..

Jon'sLightBulbs
Nov 27, 09:25 PM
Look at these numbers. Is that anything to write home about?
Shure E3C headphones for 139 instead of 199? I think you should write grandma immediately. Boy do they sound sweet!
Shure E3C headphones for 139 instead of 199? I think you should write grandma immediately. Boy do they sound sweet!
wpotere
Apr 13, 11:17 AM
There are already armed marshall on many flights in the US. WHen was the last time we had a shoot out in the sky? :rolleyes:
His point was remove the TSA security check and only have only armed air marshals. Bringing a gun to a bomb fight is like bringing a knife to a gun fight.
My point was that the TSA security does provide a buffer to keep terrorists from boarding a plane packed with explosives where an armed masrhal is going to be useless.
The world we once knew no longer exists, time to get used to it.
His point was remove the TSA security check and only have only armed air marshals. Bringing a gun to a bomb fight is like bringing a knife to a gun fight.
My point was that the TSA security does provide a buffer to keep terrorists from boarding a plane packed with explosives where an armed masrhal is going to be useless.
The world we once knew no longer exists, time to get used to it.
mouthster
Sep 25, 11:21 AM
Just FYI, I'm running Aperture with 17k+ images on an iMac 24" 2.1ghz G5 - sometimes slow, but heck i'm doing it and drooling over the 1.5 update
Ok..:confused:
Ok..:confused:
Truffy
Mar 25, 10:46 AM
They will either merge iOS and OS X into something new or they will simply drop OS X altogether in favor of iOS. Since iOS is much more successful than OS X ever was and since it is getting more and more features
Excuse my ignorance, but does an OS that runs lil' apps on a poxy hand-held computer scale up to run full-blown applications (think FCS) on a multi-core, heavy-hardware computer?
Excuse my ignorance, but does an OS that runs lil' apps on a poxy hand-held computer scale up to run full-blown applications (think FCS) on a multi-core, heavy-hardware computer?
bassfingers
Apr 27, 06:03 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)
He is a male, just like me, I can't believe you don't understand that...
He thinks he is female which is a whole other thing
Wow.
Your ignorance related to trans issues is really showing here. I suggest you do a little research on this topic next time around.
She is a woman plain and simple, what is or isn't between her legs does not matter one bit IMO.
Really? That doesn't matter? Well then why don't we have men compete in all the women's events at the Olympics? Oh wait, it does matter
I'm not defending the attackers. I think it was terrible. Horrifying video. It's hard to believe people are like this.
I do think this whole "biology doesn't matter, it's how you feel in your heart" nonsense is obviously nonsense.
He has every right to dress like a girl. I don't even mind if he uses a female bathoom. But those things don't make someone female. The characteristics that allow doctors to assign genders to new-borns do not change as people get older.
He is a male, just like me, I can't believe you don't understand that...
He thinks he is female which is a whole other thing
Wow.
Your ignorance related to trans issues is really showing here. I suggest you do a little research on this topic next time around.
She is a woman plain and simple, what is or isn't between her legs does not matter one bit IMO.
Really? That doesn't matter? Well then why don't we have men compete in all the women's events at the Olympics? Oh wait, it does matter
I'm not defending the attackers. I think it was terrible. Horrifying video. It's hard to believe people are like this.
I do think this whole "biology doesn't matter, it's how you feel in your heart" nonsense is obviously nonsense.
He has every right to dress like a girl. I don't even mind if he uses a female bathoom. But those things don't make someone female. The characteristics that allow doctors to assign genders to new-borns do not change as people get older.
MacNut
Apr 22, 01:25 PM
And you are why this system won't work.;)My point exactly, this is the reason we never wanted this system.
Leeartlee
Apr 25, 11:49 AM
Yeah, it's just a big enough change that a new case would have to be bought :rolleyes:

holmesf
Apr 30, 10:19 PM
You are talking about things that would happen if they closed it today. I said 15 years. :)
And it's not a doomsday proposition or anything. That's just where the entire industry will go.
15 years from now? By then the tech world will be so unrecognizable we might as well not debate it. 15 years ago I was using a Mac LC, all my software came from the local mac reseller on floppy disk, and I was just beginning to hear about this whole "Internet" thing. I don't think anybody at the time imagined things turning out quite as they did. Even predicting things 5 years down the line is pretty damned hard in the tech world.
Which is to say, you may very well be right when we talk about 15 years from now. On the other hand, perhaps 15 years from now the whole notion of an app store will seem like a quaint remnant of the past.
And it's not a doomsday proposition or anything. That's just where the entire industry will go.
15 years from now? By then the tech world will be so unrecognizable we might as well not debate it. 15 years ago I was using a Mac LC, all my software came from the local mac reseller on floppy disk, and I was just beginning to hear about this whole "Internet" thing. I don't think anybody at the time imagined things turning out quite as they did. Even predicting things 5 years down the line is pretty damned hard in the tech world.
Which is to say, you may very well be right when we talk about 15 years from now. On the other hand, perhaps 15 years from now the whole notion of an app store will seem like a quaint remnant of the past.
zac4mac
Oct 22, 09:49 AM
You guys with AAPL, hang on to it... I wish I still had mine, but I cashed out last year. 1525 shares paid off my Buell, cards and a house so I'm not grumbling. Only suck part was 75% of the sale price was profit(long term) and CapGains ate my lunch. IRS and State got an extra $14k last April. Ouch.
Hopefully '07 will be a good ride for y'all.
Z
Hopefully '07 will be a good ride for y'all.
Z
tkermit
Apr 5, 04:51 PM
I think Apple knew what they were doing. I think they may integrate this with Ping (worst thing ever), like 'PersonX likes the same music as you and also likes AdvertY' as some sort of viral marketing.
A marriage made in hell :D
A marriage made in hell :D
rdowns
Apr 26, 09:04 AM
This guy was more than capable of defending himself...
If you have nothing to add to the discussion, don't post. Your act is wearing thin.
If you have nothing to add to the discussion, don't post. Your act is wearing thin.
Flowbee
Jan 12, 10:40 PM
Yes
Seriously, that is such a slippery slope argument it isn't funny. Blaming some pranksters for the end of big expos is silly.
That's not what I was saying at all. It's hard to tell if you're actually reading the posts you're responding to.
Seriously, that is such a slippery slope argument it isn't funny. Blaming some pranksters for the end of big expos is silly.
That's not what I was saying at all. It's hard to tell if you're actually reading the posts you're responding to.
mr.steevo
Oct 3, 03:08 PM
Hi,
Your Widget.
http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/macworldexpo2007countdown.html
s.
Your Widget.
http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/macworldexpo2007countdown.html
s.
dsnort
Aug 1, 08:39 PM
The problem is that the license says that the limitations can change at any time, so one doesn't really know what one buys, even if one has read the license - which I'm sure most people has not. I don't believe that the complaint is first and foremost about the DRM (which one may have opinions about exactly how it is implemented and shared but most anyway recognises it as a necessary evil) but rather what is summarised in these two sentences: "it is unreasonable that the agreement the consumer must give consent to is regulated by English law. That iTunes disclaims all liability for possible damage the software may cause and that it may alter the rights to the music". I think most of us agree that it is not reasonable that that which we buy can destroy anything on our computer and that they can e.g. suddenly just allow me to play a song just five times. And even though we all trust and like Apple these sort of licences are getting sillier and sillier (and it is certainlly not just Apple, it is basically the whole industry) and I think it is really good that someone who has the time and knowledge to fight it takes a stand against it, even though I believe shutting down the store may be overkill but I'm sure it won't come to that.
Cheers,
Peter
I understand what you are saying, and empathize with your concern. I just find it bewildering that the focus of so much of this debate is Apples DRM, which is one of the most reasonable out there. This is not a case, so far, of Apple abusing the customer so much as it is of Apple having so many customers. For real DRM abuse stories, check out what Sony did on some of the DVD's they sold. Or Napsters subscription service where you have rights to the music as long as you keep making the payments, every month. Or try to decipher M$'s DRM policy. Or try to sign up for Sony's Connect Store on a Mac.
I personally don't think it will ever come to the point where Apple will pull iTunes from any country, at least, I certainly hope not.
As for the post you quoted, sorry. People who insist that everyone who doesn't agree with them is mentally defective touch a hot button for me. Especially when their reasoning is.....suspect.
Cheers,
Peter
I understand what you are saying, and empathize with your concern. I just find it bewildering that the focus of so much of this debate is Apples DRM, which is one of the most reasonable out there. This is not a case, so far, of Apple abusing the customer so much as it is of Apple having so many customers. For real DRM abuse stories, check out what Sony did on some of the DVD's they sold. Or Napsters subscription service where you have rights to the music as long as you keep making the payments, every month. Or try to decipher M$'s DRM policy. Or try to sign up for Sony's Connect Store on a Mac.
I personally don't think it will ever come to the point where Apple will pull iTunes from any country, at least, I certainly hope not.
As for the post you quoted, sorry. People who insist that everyone who doesn't agree with them is mentally defective touch a hot button for me. Especially when their reasoning is.....suspect.
No comments:
Post a Comment