zap2
Mar 28, 07:10 PM
Oh my gosh, the terrible amount of work you have to go through just to buy and install an application. Put convenience as your first priority and Steve will make many things "easier" for you. . .
Making things easy isn't a negative, its positive, it streamlines the experience. Considering just how much unused power is inside of many PCs and Macs that until recently were the only way people "computed", it makes sense for companies to make things easier so more people can access and do more with their computers.
We(on Macrumors.com) are not your average computer user. I love tinkering with computers, smartphones, tablets, etc...but that doesn't mean I can't give credit to companies that make using technology easier to do more with.
Apple isn't stupid, they aren't going to cut themselves out of the OS market they helped create and the type of product that their "post PC" devices depend on. Just as iOS has gotten more complicated then it once was(which allows it to do more), OS X can allow more useful features to be used in an improved(read more intuitive and simpler) way. Its all about keeping balance, iOS doesn't need to be able to virtualize Windows XP locally and OS X doesn't need to only have one place to download applications.
Making things easy isn't a negative, its positive, it streamlines the experience. Considering just how much unused power is inside of many PCs and Macs that until recently were the only way people "computed", it makes sense for companies to make things easier so more people can access and do more with their computers.
We(on Macrumors.com) are not your average computer user. I love tinkering with computers, smartphones, tablets, etc...but that doesn't mean I can't give credit to companies that make using technology easier to do more with.
Apple isn't stupid, they aren't going to cut themselves out of the OS market they helped create and the type of product that their "post PC" devices depend on. Just as iOS has gotten more complicated then it once was(which allows it to do more), OS X can allow more useful features to be used in an improved(read more intuitive and simpler) way. Its all about keeping balance, iOS doesn't need to be able to virtualize Windows XP locally and OS X doesn't need to only have one place to download applications.
bj3949
Apr 15, 04:21 PM
Probably not real. I really hope the next iPhone has a camera flash, and I think the camera flash should be the Apple logo on the back. Wouldn't that be sick????
TheSideshow
Apr 21, 09:52 AM
Its gunna be awesome. Im hoping for a Metro UI to surface.
cult hero
Mar 25, 06:04 PM
If you think that John Siracusa (or citations thereto) is a troll, then your ignorance is breathtaking. (The absence of your actually addressing the issue at hand in lieu of ad hominem attacks is conspicuous and dubious.)
Did I miss something? I was talking about Eidorian. And I don't care if he's secretly Steve Jobs. A troll is a troll.
If I hung around on a Nokia-centric site and posted CONSTANTLY about Nokia sucking nowadays and made negative posts on virtually every single article people would label me a troll because that's what I'd be.
Did I miss something? I was talking about Eidorian. And I don't care if he's secretly Steve Jobs. A troll is a troll.
If I hung around on a Nokia-centric site and posted CONSTANTLY about Nokia sucking nowadays and made negative posts on virtually every single article people would label me a troll because that's what I'd be.
more...
iShater
Jul 28, 01:44 PM
The Audi A3 clean diesel TDI
It is not a hybrid drive train that uses diesel with an electric, it is a pure diesel car.
It is not a hybrid drive train that uses diesel with an electric, it is a pure diesel car.
Multimedia
Oct 4, 03:43 AM
Two things I would love:
2: Octo-core Mac Pros BEFORE this happens! Like, you know, late october, early novemberish...
I'm a dreamer :)Clovertown doesn't ship until November so I'm thinking Apple could add a BTO option for them +$800 for Dual Quad 2.33GHz Clovertowns in December without rocking too many boats. Then the choice will be between 4 fast 3GHz cores (12GHz) or 8 slower 2.33GHz cores (18.64GHz) for the same $3,300.
FYI Each of those processors are priced precisely the same $851 - in case you thought 8 cores were going to cost more. They won't.
2: Octo-core Mac Pros BEFORE this happens! Like, you know, late october, early novemberish...
I'm a dreamer :)Clovertown doesn't ship until November so I'm thinking Apple could add a BTO option for them +$800 for Dual Quad 2.33GHz Clovertowns in December without rocking too many boats. Then the choice will be between 4 fast 3GHz cores (12GHz) or 8 slower 2.33GHz cores (18.64GHz) for the same $3,300.
FYI Each of those processors are priced precisely the same $851 - in case you thought 8 cores were going to cost more. They won't.
more...
Rocksaurus
Oct 28, 05:37 PM
Isn't a healthy chunk of OS X based on FreeBSD? A free, open source Unix distro? In a sense, if they use FreeBSD and do not contribute back to the very open source community they're borrowing from, doesn't that make Apple a thief? Maybe I'm missing something :o
Mikeadelic
Apr 6, 06:54 AM
There's another, much more messed up story (http://www.slashgear.com/apple-rejects-iphone-app-for-lack-of-functionality-later-releases-app-with-same-functionality-itself-06144635/) behind this app. For those too lazy to click on the link, basically Apple decided to reject a third-party app that has the same functionality as the iAd Gallery for -- get this -- "lack of functionality". Then it turns around and develops the exact same app.
If what Apple has done here doesn't demonstrate anti-competitiveness, then I don't know what does.
If what Apple has done here doesn't demonstrate anti-competitiveness, then I don't know what does.
more...

bloodycape
Nov 16, 02:06 PM
gamers that want to switch to mac but wont because of intel, which is stupid. AMD fanboys hate intel also(there is a signifigant amount of these people). They still haven't realised that intel has taken the lead again.
I am an AMD fanboy who thinks intel makes great chips, so not every amd fanboy hates intel. Just look at my sig.
I am an AMD fanboy who thinks intel makes great chips, so not every amd fanboy hates intel. Just look at my sig.
mauka
Nov 24, 12:46 PM
At the Honolulu Apple Store I was able to buy a black MacBook, using govt employee discount less black friday discount, total price $1309.00. At first they were saying no double discounts, but after a bit of a stand down myself and another unrelated buyer got the deal. :)
more...
Hephaestus
Mar 18, 04:06 PM
iPhone users want to believe they've got the best thing out there, so sometimes you could misinterpret comments or even compliments as "harassment." If people were really jealous of iPhone users, what is stopping them from buying an iPhone? Its not like it costs more, or something only select VIPs are privy to. In fact, many android phones cost more than the iPhone. Most people buy based on their needs (and android phones do offer a lot of features that the iphone doesnt). Some people (including some iphone owners I know) buy just to follow the crowd.
Based on your posts in this thread, and the fact that you think people are really jealous of your iphone, yeah, I'd say you're an Apple fanboy.
Did you even read my original post?
Based on your posts in this thread, and the fact that you think people are really jealous of your iphone, yeah, I'd say you're an Apple fanboy.
Did you even read my original post?
moiety
Dec 13, 09:52 AM
This is utter ********. The experience is key, and LTE hardware is nowhere near advanced enough to guarantee the experience that Apple would demand for a device the stature of the iPhone.
Remember: we're talking about the company that withheld phone wallpapers on the Original and 3G iPhones because the experience would have been several milliseconds too slow.
Fact: Verizon is not expecting LTE-capable hardware until mid-2011. There's no way Apple magically has an LTE phone ready to go while everyone else won't have one for 6 months.
Fact: Apple declined to integrate 3G into the iPhone when 3G was already available, because the hardware wasn't power-efficent enough. One of the main distinguishing features of the iPhone is its battery life. They're not going to tarnish that image by hacking first-generation, power-hogging LTE hardware into the phone, in ADDITION to CDMA, which is another radio tech they're only now deploying.
These sources are full of ****. QED.
Remember: we're talking about the company that withheld phone wallpapers on the Original and 3G iPhones because the experience would have been several milliseconds too slow.
Fact: Verizon is not expecting LTE-capable hardware until mid-2011. There's no way Apple magically has an LTE phone ready to go while everyone else won't have one for 6 months.
Fact: Apple declined to integrate 3G into the iPhone when 3G was already available, because the hardware wasn't power-efficent enough. One of the main distinguishing features of the iPhone is its battery life. They're not going to tarnish that image by hacking first-generation, power-hogging LTE hardware into the phone, in ADDITION to CDMA, which is another radio tech they're only now deploying.
These sources are full of ****. QED.
more...
TheMacBookPro
Mar 19, 06:15 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)
iPhone is a great target because of the "holier than thou" culture that Steve Jobs helped create. And now they come out with a phone with a shatter-prone back, flat/square as a brick, still retains the small 3.5" screen and the antenna problems. This is all excellent fuel for the haters.
Even with all that it's still the best phone out there, but the 4 is an even easier target and it's starting to wobble on it's pedestal. Now, when you pull out an iPhone 4, you can expect "oh, you got one of those."
You can thank Apple for making this all worse with it's stupid design decisions on the iPhone 4. They have a chance to fix a lot of this come June.
Not that they need to change anything, obviously. Keep the same shatter prone design, horrible ergonomics, 3.5" screen and just bolt on the A5 chip and everyone'll still lap it up ;)
One a slightly more serious note- the 'haters' hate the iPhone because of 1)Jobs and his (stupid) smug-ness (iPhone is the best phone the world. The screen is far better than anything else. Everyone is copying us, we are the benchmark and everyone else should bugger off) and 2)the fanboys who lap it all up and 'spreads the word' like door to door salesmen.
Then, when someone disagrees with them (God forbid), the fanboys call the 'iHaters' retards because obviously the iPhone is the best, Android users are just too poor to afford an iphone and thats why we 'envy' (LOL) iUsers and so on.
Rant directed at nobody in particular. Just getting it out of my system.
iPhone is a great target because of the "holier than thou" culture that Steve Jobs helped create. And now they come out with a phone with a shatter-prone back, flat/square as a brick, still retains the small 3.5" screen and the antenna problems. This is all excellent fuel for the haters.
Even with all that it's still the best phone out there, but the 4 is an even easier target and it's starting to wobble on it's pedestal. Now, when you pull out an iPhone 4, you can expect "oh, you got one of those."
You can thank Apple for making this all worse with it's stupid design decisions on the iPhone 4. They have a chance to fix a lot of this come June.
Not that they need to change anything, obviously. Keep the same shatter prone design, horrible ergonomics, 3.5" screen and just bolt on the A5 chip and everyone'll still lap it up ;)
One a slightly more serious note- the 'haters' hate the iPhone because of 1)Jobs and his (stupid) smug-ness (iPhone is the best phone the world. The screen is far better than anything else. Everyone is copying us, we are the benchmark and everyone else should bugger off) and 2)the fanboys who lap it all up and 'spreads the word' like door to door salesmen.
Then, when someone disagrees with them (God forbid), the fanboys call the 'iHaters' retards because obviously the iPhone is the best, Android users are just too poor to afford an iphone and thats why we 'envy' (LOL) iUsers and so on.
Rant directed at nobody in particular. Just getting it out of my system.

TheBobcat
Mar 28, 11:11 PM
Whoever stole it is still going online with it although they have not played a game. I had the Monster HD cables for the system and they only work on an HD TV. You hook it up to an SD TV and you get no video at all. I think they keep powering up the system and trying to make it work but have no clue what they are doing.
Wait, so is it showing up again in your Connect360? Try and call the cops the minute is shows up.
That or,
If parents live there with the teenager(s), just ask them if their kid just got a 360 and if they would mind if you compared serial numbers to your receipt, since its showed up in range of your wireless network.
Don't blame the kid, but be like, well maybe another kid sold it to him or something.
I don't know about them, but at least my parents would have my ass up there in an instant with my 360 even if I had it for over a year lol. I don't even want to think what would have happened to me if it was yours.
Actually, third idea. Just guess which house it is. And just go there and be like, I know you stole my 360 and games, I can tell from it trying to connect to my router since the house is so close. So, I'll tell you what, I'll let all this go if you just hand it over. If he denies it, just be like, okay, well, I'm taking this (log sheet) to the cops, and I can peg the IP address to you. Are you sure you don't want to do just give it back?
And when he gives it back call the cops.
Wait, so is it showing up again in your Connect360? Try and call the cops the minute is shows up.
That or,
If parents live there with the teenager(s), just ask them if their kid just got a 360 and if they would mind if you compared serial numbers to your receipt, since its showed up in range of your wireless network.
Don't blame the kid, but be like, well maybe another kid sold it to him or something.
I don't know about them, but at least my parents would have my ass up there in an instant with my 360 even if I had it for over a year lol. I don't even want to think what would have happened to me if it was yours.
Actually, third idea. Just guess which house it is. And just go there and be like, I know you stole my 360 and games, I can tell from it trying to connect to my router since the house is so close. So, I'll tell you what, I'll let all this go if you just hand it over. If he denies it, just be like, okay, well, I'm taking this (log sheet) to the cops, and I can peg the IP address to you. Are you sure you don't want to do just give it back?
And when he gives it back call the cops.
more...
Ygn
Nov 6, 07:15 PM
Is it just the zombie packs you get with the hardened edition? I already have all those on W@W, not paying for them again.
I believe it's just the zombie maps from WaW you get.
I believe it's just the zombie maps from WaW you get.
Ryeno
May 3, 05:15 PM
You are paying to use data on your mobile device. If you want to use it to link up other devices, there is a separate service for that.
This is not exactly brain surgery here.
thank god you are not a brain surgeon. This is no different then paying for internet @ home and getting a modem (cell phone) that only allows connection to one PC (cell phone). Then being forced to pay an extra fee just to split the signal to another PC (use a router in this example).
This is not exactly brain surgery here.
thank god you are not a brain surgeon. This is no different then paying for internet @ home and getting a modem (cell phone) that only allows connection to one PC (cell phone). Then being forced to pay an extra fee just to split the signal to another PC (use a router in this example).
more...
shawnce
Oct 30, 10:21 AM
The end-fact that Apple's source does not appear to be publicly accessible does not appear to be in dispute, but rather questions have arisen as to whether it was ever publicly accessible (publicly accessible as defined by not requiring registration with Apple. The source is still free).
Any item released under the APSL (Apple Public Source License) requires and has required since the dawn of the APSL users to register an account with Apple (free account). This is done so Apple can track that you have read the APSL before you gain access to the source. It has always been this way... in fact this registration requirement was talked about on and off for years on the Darwin lists (for example (http://lists.apple.com/archives/darwin-development/2001/Mar/msg00329.html)) and was one of the reasons that OpenDarwin was started (some folks just couldn't bring themselves to register).
A few years ago Apple integrated the open source account system with their Apple ID system so that if you have an Apple ID you didn't have to create a separate account you could just use that. See last paragraph of this email (http://lists.apple.com/archives/Publicsource-announce/2003/Aug/msg00000.html).
All Apple Developer Accounts (ADC) can be used as an Apple ID, as can .Mac accounts, Apple support forums accounts, Apple store accounts, etc.
Finally the 10.4.8 source never got linked on the top level darwin source page, only 10.4.7 got listed most recently (I have been looking for the last 3 weeks). The reason is that Apple is transitioning over to macosforge.org (that is the site that lists links to Intel version of XNU and only that site) and they appeared to have hit some system resource issue that has slowed this transition. As I noted in my prior post you can access 10.4.8 sources using a direct link to the tarball.
As a side note I have worked on Darwin sources since it was first put online under the APSL and I worked on aspects of OpenDarwin when it first got going. So I am speaking from a long history of experience with Darwin.
Any item released under the APSL (Apple Public Source License) requires and has required since the dawn of the APSL users to register an account with Apple (free account). This is done so Apple can track that you have read the APSL before you gain access to the source. It has always been this way... in fact this registration requirement was talked about on and off for years on the Darwin lists (for example (http://lists.apple.com/archives/darwin-development/2001/Mar/msg00329.html)) and was one of the reasons that OpenDarwin was started (some folks just couldn't bring themselves to register).
A few years ago Apple integrated the open source account system with their Apple ID system so that if you have an Apple ID you didn't have to create a separate account you could just use that. See last paragraph of this email (http://lists.apple.com/archives/Publicsource-announce/2003/Aug/msg00000.html).
All Apple Developer Accounts (ADC) can be used as an Apple ID, as can .Mac accounts, Apple support forums accounts, Apple store accounts, etc.
Finally the 10.4.8 source never got linked on the top level darwin source page, only 10.4.7 got listed most recently (I have been looking for the last 3 weeks). The reason is that Apple is transitioning over to macosforge.org (that is the site that lists links to Intel version of XNU and only that site) and they appeared to have hit some system resource issue that has slowed this transition. As I noted in my prior post you can access 10.4.8 sources using a direct link to the tarball.
As a side note I have worked on Darwin sources since it was first put online under the APSL and I worked on aspects of OpenDarwin when it first got going. So I am speaking from a long history of experience with Darwin.

TheWheelMan
Mar 17, 12:53 PM
Really VictoriaStudent, lol I agree with BForstal on what people would do in the same situation 100 percent, and I'm not trying to brag about anything, and I cant even believe this thread has reached 3 pages. Sec I have no reason to troll!!! I have been a member of this forum since and even though I have never really posted anything I have found wealth of knowledge over the years from people in these forums. Wow and you cannot judge a person's character by a mistake a cashier made in a store!!! Like I said everybody is entitled to there own opinion, If you were to make note of the mistake to the store if it happened to you and it makes you feel so highly above any one else, more power to you. As far as I'm concerned this is one time I actually got a break on a apple product.
You're probably right, but the difference is that most would either have enough of a guilty conscience, or at least enough fear of getting busted, to NOT go telling it in a public forum and then copping some sort of superior attitude over it when criticized about it.
By knowingly taking it you did in fact break the law, and now you've publicly incriminated yourself to boot. Your morality is unfair to question given how the majority of people may have done the same thing (Meaning, "Who are we to judge?"). Your stupidity, however, is quite evident, and those are the ones who usually end up paying for their crimes one way or another. Karma is, in fact, a b@tch. Especially when you paint a bullseye on your @ss and dare it to strike you down.
You're probably right, but the difference is that most would either have enough of a guilty conscience, or at least enough fear of getting busted, to NOT go telling it in a public forum and then copping some sort of superior attitude over it when criticized about it.
By knowingly taking it you did in fact break the law, and now you've publicly incriminated yourself to boot. Your morality is unfair to question given how the majority of people may have done the same thing (Meaning, "Who are we to judge?"). Your stupidity, however, is quite evident, and those are the ones who usually end up paying for their crimes one way or another. Karma is, in fact, a b@tch. Especially when you paint a bullseye on your @ss and dare it to strike you down.
Melrose
Mar 6, 01:25 PM
Apple doesn't invent. Apple refines.
...
I think this is the key point for this argument. Apple, true, did not introduce the first touch screen phone. However, they blew the lid off the touchscreen phone market when introducing the iPhone.
They didn't make the first portable music player with the iPod - but they refined what was there, gave it a good interface and changed the way the world transports and listens to music.
They didn't invent tablet computing - but still they made the iPad and spread a once-dead market segment wide open.
It's not that they invent, though they certainly are innovative, so much as they refine concepts that are already there. And as far as people saying, "everybody copies Apple!" there is more truth to that than you might think - building a tablet computer isn't necessarily copying Apple so much as jumping on the bandwagon once Apple invigorates the market. In that sense, they copy Apple. They ignore a market before because they cannot tap it successfully; Apple does, so then they jump in with drastically similar features.
Apple has single-handedly plowed many technological roads; the roads were already there, but Apple more or less opened them up.
...
I think this is the key point for this argument. Apple, true, did not introduce the first touch screen phone. However, they blew the lid off the touchscreen phone market when introducing the iPhone.
They didn't make the first portable music player with the iPod - but they refined what was there, gave it a good interface and changed the way the world transports and listens to music.
They didn't invent tablet computing - but still they made the iPad and spread a once-dead market segment wide open.
It's not that they invent, though they certainly are innovative, so much as they refine concepts that are already there. And as far as people saying, "everybody copies Apple!" there is more truth to that than you might think - building a tablet computer isn't necessarily copying Apple so much as jumping on the bandwagon once Apple invigorates the market. In that sense, they copy Apple. They ignore a market before because they cannot tap it successfully; Apple does, so then they jump in with drastically similar features.
Apple has single-handedly plowed many technological roads; the roads were already there, but Apple more or less opened them up.
Calidude
Apr 16, 05:20 PM
Even a Merriam-Webster is of no value to me, if we don't agree on which word we should use to encapsulate you.
I might have better luck with the Urban Dictionary (www.urbandictionary.com).
You're still not making any sense.
I might have better luck with the Urban Dictionary (www.urbandictionary.com).
You're still not making any sense.
mrgreen4242
Jan 15, 02:56 PM
Absolute madness. No offence.
Well, we'll wait and see. Laptops already account for over half of all new computer sales, and the iMac uses MOSTLY laptop parts as it is. The big thing holding laptops back has been drive speed and capacity. Those are both being improved upon with traditional HDDs and SSDs. The Time Capsule will become the place where you store your "extra" files and big media, etc. There's even already a spec being developed for wireless HD video communication for TV to media player connection. People could have a MacBook with a 20"+ display, 1TB HDD, and fullsize keyb and mouse on their desk with no wires. Add in an induction charging pad and you've got a really, really cool workspace.
I think they'll bring back the $1500 PowerMac/Mac Pro and drop the iMac and mini lines in favor of expanded laptop lines, including a 20" "laptop" (wouldn't be the first one on the market).
Well, we'll wait and see. Laptops already account for over half of all new computer sales, and the iMac uses MOSTLY laptop parts as it is. The big thing holding laptops back has been drive speed and capacity. Those are both being improved upon with traditional HDDs and SSDs. The Time Capsule will become the place where you store your "extra" files and big media, etc. There's even already a spec being developed for wireless HD video communication for TV to media player connection. People could have a MacBook with a 20"+ display, 1TB HDD, and fullsize keyb and mouse on their desk with no wires. Add in an induction charging pad and you've got a really, really cool workspace.
I think they'll bring back the $1500 PowerMac/Mac Pro and drop the iMac and mini lines in favor of expanded laptop lines, including a 20" "laptop" (wouldn't be the first one on the market).
radiohead14
Apr 16, 04:45 AM
I bet Google try to sell to the label the idea of free advertisement supported music, and Google get to keep 70% of the revenue.:eek:
iansilv
Apr 15, 01:39 PM
LOL at the perspective on the text in the 3rd photo. :D
FAKE.
Oh- yeah- you're right. I see that now- yeah I agree it's fake. I still like it though.
FAKE.
Oh- yeah- you're right. I see that now- yeah I agree it's fake. I still like it though.
CalBoy
Apr 25, 05:21 PM
That's not fair. It's not the company's fault. It's called individual responsibilities and these employees should be fired.
It's perfectly fair. McDonalds gets the fruits of it's employees' labor if they do a superior job, so McDonalds should have to pay for their employees' screw-ups if they are work-related. The legal doctrine that expresses this is called respondeat superior.
The employees that were involved in this didn't commit any personal torts against the transgender lady, but they didn't do their jobs properly. McDonalds is (and should be) on the hook for this.
The video was hard to watch and saddens me more because a double minority (a black woman) should know better. The irony of this beating should be lost on no one.
It's perfectly fair. McDonalds gets the fruits of it's employees' labor if they do a superior job, so McDonalds should have to pay for their employees' screw-ups if they are work-related. The legal doctrine that expresses this is called respondeat superior.
The employees that were involved in this didn't commit any personal torts against the transgender lady, but they didn't do their jobs properly. McDonalds is (and should be) on the hook for this.
The video was hard to watch and saddens me more because a double minority (a black woman) should know better. The irony of this beating should be lost on no one.
No comments:
Post a Comment